Saturday, March 25, 2006

Is it time to go?

I don't know who is worse, me or Michael!

When I was growing up my favorite place to go was my grandparents farm in south Georgia. While most of my friends went to the beach or Disney World on their vacations, I went to the farm to be with my dad's family. It was heaven for an only child from the "city". Mostly we worked tobacco (which is a story in itself) but there were also chicken houses, cows and pigs. I can't even express how wonderful it was to spend the summers there. I learned so many things that have made me who I am. I laugh when the girls at work complain how hard the job is....Obviously they have never worked in a tobacco field in the middle of a hot Georgia summer. People comment on our eight children and wonder how we do it...I think of Aunt Jackie and how easy she made it look to take care of all of us. When I am serving people at work... I think of Grandma and how she always had room at her table and a smile on her face. When I am tired and don't want to take care of my responsibilities... I remember my grandpa and my uncles "If a job is worth doing it is worth doing right". Mostly, when I think about my faith and the wonderful gift that it is... I remember the little church down the dirt road and the truth I heard there as a child, the homecomings, revivals and the dinner on the grounds, my aunt and uncle and cousins all loaded in the front of the truck on our way to another church and another service for them to share the message once again through song, the simple faith of a farmer who planted his crop knowing it was God who would make it prosper or not and was content with the outcome.

Now some things have changed, my grandparents aren't there anymore but my aunt and uncle still provide a place where my kids can share some of the magic I remember. I still can't wait to get there, but now I am not the only one, my Micheal loves it as much as I do...so I guess I had better go get ready because We Are Going To The Farm!

No comments: